So You Want to Adopt?
Here at Suncoast Humane Society, we take our animal adoptions very seriously but our policies are simple. We have an obligation to see that every animal is adopted into a responsible home. We only place animals with caring people who are concerned with the well-being of the animal.
All adoptions are by appointment only. Please call 941-474-7884 ext. 419 to set up your appointment. Face masks & social distancing are required during your visit. Thank you!
Adopters must meet these guidelines:
- 18 years of age
- Valid ID with name and current address; and
- Landlord and/or parental verification
What you get when you adopt from SHS:
- Spaying or neutering
- Heartworm or feline leukemia/AIDS test
- First distemper shot
- A complimentary bag of Hills Science Diet pet food.
- A complete medical history showing all of the care, shots, and tests that were administered to the animal during its shelter stay
- An implanted microchip with registration (helping to return lost animals to their owners)
- Lifelong friendship
These are our standard prices. Adoption fees may be less during special adoption promotions.
- Puppies and Kittens (less than 1 year old) – $125
- Canines and Felines – $95 plus $20 Rabies Vaccination
- Canines and Felines for Senior Adopters (65+ years) – $75 plus $20 Rabies Vaccination
- Senior Canines and Felines (7+ years) – $75 plus $20 Rabies Vaccination
- Senior Canines and Felines (7+ years) for Senior Adopters (65+ years) – $50 plus $20 Rabies Vaccination
- Pets with Seniority (In Shelter more than 6 months) – $25 plus $20 Rabies Vaccination
- Mice and Rats – $10
- Guinea Pigs, Hamsters, and Gerbils – $20
- Rabbits – $50
- Ferrets – $50
- Parakeets – $15
- Cockatiels – $75
*There may be additional inoculations recommended that you will be responsible for. Additionally, you will have to purchase a $10 or $17 County License/Tag for your pet. We are currently able to sell County License Tags for Sarasota and Charlotte Counties.
Florida Statute 585.195 states that all dogs and cats sold must be at least eight (8) weeks old. Statue 823.15 states that all animals adopted from any shelter must be spayed or neutered.